In the morning meet and greet your guide in the lobby of the hotel or at the airport. After knowing each other we start exploring the city centre of Ljubljana. The old city centre has a unique architectural appearance, particularly due to its mixture of Baroque and Art Nouveau architecture with masterful creations by the 20th century architect Jože Plečnik. Travel by funicular to Ljubljana Castle. Dinner at the restaurant on the top of the Castle hill. To end the day we suggest a boat ride on the Ljubljanica River. Overnight stay.
Wine tour of Primorska region
- Wine tour
- Sightseeing tour
- Culinary tour
- Private & Custom tour
Slovenia has a long history of winemaking as viticulture and winemaking has existed in this region since the time of the Celts and Illyrians tribes, long before the Romans introduced winemaking to the lands of France, Spain and Germany. Located in the west of the country, the Primorska is the most internationally recognised wine region in Slovenia. Winegrowers are heavily influenced by wine-making processes from their neighbours in Friuli, in particular in returning to eco-friendly farming with the use of only minimal chemicals. The area is divided into 4 main sub-regions where both quality white and red wines are produced.
Vipava Valley: Vipava valley is a lush green expanse, with rich soils and moderate rainfall that straddles the Vipava River on its way to the Adriatic. In Vipava region Rebula (Ribolla Gialla), Sauvignon (Sauvignon Blanc), Malvazija, Laški rizling (Welsh Riesling) and Chardonnay are among the most popular and generally produced white wines, while the reds are: Merlot, Barbera and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Goriška Brda – Tucked away in a small corner by the Italian border, the Goriška Brda region is Slovenia's little “Tuscany”. Gently rolling hills layered with terraced rows of vines combined with the sweet aroma of fruit from the orchards below makes Goriška Brda an ideal spot to relax for a few days in the warmer months of the year. Wineries from the area produce quantities of award winning Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Rebula, Refošk, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and Friulano.
- Karst – East of Trieste, the cave plateau region of Slovenia is best known for Teran. The wines of the region are typically affected by heavy limestone content in “terra rosa” soil, the earth is rich and red. Likewise, the proximity to the sea can add a certain tang to the wines.
- Slovenian Istria – Near the Adriatic coast, Istria (cities Koper and Piran) has the warmest climate of the wine regions in Slovenia. The most abundantly grown grapes are Refošk and Malvazija. New cellars opening shows the region’s growing popularity.
Other varieties found in the Primorska region are: Barbera, Pinot Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Cipro, Glera, Klarnica, Welsch Riesling, Maločrn, Yellow Muscat, Syrah and Vitovska Grganja.
Type of tour: Culinary and wine tour
Duration: 5 days
Departure and time: On request
Best time for tour: April - August
Number of persons: 2-8 persons
- Excellent wines and authentic food
- Cultural heritage
- Beautiful nature
SLOVENIA – LJUBLJANA
LJUBLJANA - POSTOJNA – VIPAVA VALLEY – GORIŠKA BRDA
After breakfast, departure to the famous underground world of the Postojna Cave. We take a small train to drive us through the cave while we enjoy its underground secrets. Drive to Vipava Valley, the valley of fruit of Slovenia. Stop at one of the many wineries in Vipava to taste some local wines. We continue our journey through the valley and make the next stop for a late lunch of slow-food. Drive to Goriška Brda hills, from where we have a spectacular view on the Slovenian mountains and the Venice Lagoon. Overnight stay at a small hotel or a small property.
Breakfast. Today our mission is to explore the wine-growing region of Goriška Brda that extends through the state border (Italy) from the Soča River on the south-east to the Idrija River on the north-west. The region ends with two ancient hills – Sabotin to the east, and Korada to the north. We will pay a visit to several properties and vineyards, and we will enjoy beautiful tourist attractions. First, we will visit the “Goriška Brda” Wine Cellar, where we will be tasting some typical wines. The Goriška Brda Wine Cellar was born amidst charming vineyards, right in the heart of Goriška Brda region. The mission of one of the most renowned and major Slovene wine producers is to successfully continue and improve the centuries-long tradition of wine-making. After this fantastic experience, we head southwest of Goriška Brda and visit one of renowned wine estate. Time to enjoy tasting excellent wines. In the late afternoon we will enjoy a local culinary experience at an early slow-food dinner. Overnight stay at the property.
GORIŠKA BRDA - NOVA GORICA – HAM-DRYING FACILITY – LIPICA – SLOVENIAN COAST
After breakfast, we drive to Kostanjevica pri Novi Gorici to visit the Franciscan monastery, where the last members of the House of Bourbon are buried. Drive to the Karst area. We stop at the local wine cellar, where we taste their wines. In the early afternoon, we visit the ham-drying facility, where we see the production of the famous Slovenian dried-ham “pršut”. Tasting of the Karst dry-cured ham “pršut” with a glass of local red wine “Teran”. Our next stop is Lipica Stud Farm, a farm with a more than 400-year-old tradition of breeding and selection of thoroughbred horses. Some free time to enjoy nature. Drive to Slovenian coast. Accommodation and dinner in the hotel.
SLOVENIAN COAST - OLIVE GROWING – PIRAN - LJUBLJANA
After breakfast we visit Piran. This town resembles a large open-air museum with its medieval architecture and its rich cultural heritage. Narrow streets and compact houses give the town its unique charm. Piran is one of Slovenia's major tourist attractions. Than we will visit an olive growing farm and experience olive oil tasting. Our next stop is the renowned wine cellar, where we will have a wine tasting with local products. After the visit of wine cellar, we have late lunch in Koper. Drive to Ljubljana and end of service.
- All transfers and drives as per itinerary in a modern van (van is available throughout the journey)
- Panoramic tours and city tours as per itinerary
- 4 x accommodation (bed/breakfast) in superior 3* hotels/apartments and 4* hotels/apartments in the cities mentioned above or in close vicinity, in double rooms
- Entrance fees: Funicular to the Ljubljana Castle, Postojna Cave, Franciscan Monastery, Lipica Stud Farm
- 2 x 3-course lunch without drinks
- 2 x 3-course dinner without drinks
- 1 x buffet dinner in hotel
- 4 x wine tasting of 4-5 samples with simple snack
- Olive oil farm visit with tasting
- Ham-drying facility – tasting of “pršut” with a glass of local red vine “Teran”
- Highly professional English guide / driver (other languages)-speaking guide throughout the entire tour
- Guide /driver’s expenses and accommodation in a single room
- Single supplement
- Other entrance fees and visits
- Beverages and other meals
- Ljubljana river boat – 12 € (only cruise) or 30€ (sparkling wine, chocolate pralines and fruit)
- Personal expenses
- Visas (if needed)