In the morning meet and greet your guide and travel companions in the lobby of the hotel / airport. After knowing each other we explore the city centre of Ljubljana. The old city centre has a unique architectural appearance, particularly due to its mixture of Baroque and Art Nouveau architecture with masterful creations by the 20th century architect Jože Plečnik. The funicular will take us to the Castle of Ljubljana situated above the town. Time to admire the magnificent view, which on a sunny day stretches all the way to the Alps. We suggest ending the day with a boat cruise on the Ljubljanica River. Welcome dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight stay.
The Essence of Slovenia
- Wine tour
- Sightseeing tour
- Cultural tour
- Educational tour
- Culinary tour
- Private & Custom tour
Slovenia is a small but very diverse country. Its essence is hidden in specialities that enrich every traveller who visits this country on the sunny side of the Alps. This route presents the pearls of Slovenia, accompanied with sightseeing, delicious food, good company, and of course natural beauties.
Type of tour: Sightseeing tour
Duration: 8 days
Departure and time: On request
Best time for tour: May - October
Number of persons: 2-8 persons
- Walking tour of the charming old city centre of Ljubljana
- Visit the iconic Bled Lake
- Feel the atmosphere of Alpine Village Kranjska Gora
- Enjoy a spectacular drive the highest road pass in Slovenia – Vršič Pass
- Admire emerald river Soča
- Enjoy wine tasting of excellent local wines at Goriška brda
- Visit the home of the Lipizzan breed and discover its unique history
- Explore gorgeous seaside town Piran
- The Queen of the Underground World – Postojna Cave
- Feel the atmosphere of city famous for the Counts of Celje
- The attractive city of Maribor with lovely architecture of Maribor and the river Drava
- Visit the oldest town in Slovenia – Ptuj
- The Vršič Pass is usually closed from the beginning of November until the beginning of May, because of weather conditions. We change the route in those months, but cover all sites.
- The dairy museum “Od planine do Planike” is closed on Sundays and National Holidays.
- Archaeological display of CELEIA – “City below the City” and Regional Museum of Celje are closed on Mondays and National Holidays.
- The program (tasting and meals) could be adjusted due to client’s nutrition requirements.
SLOVENIA – LJUBLJANA
LJUBLJANA – BLED – KRANJSKA GORA
After breakfast, we drive to the Slovenian mountain area and visit the most renowned lake of Slovenia, Bled Lake. We explore the town of Bled, and visit the historical Bled Castle. We take time to enjoy tasting “kremšnita”, the famous Bled cake. Free time for individual sightseeing. In the late afternoon, we drive to the small village of Kranjska Gora and Planica, the valley of ski jumping hills, which is believed to be the cradle of ski jumping. Accommodation and overnight stay.
KRANJSKA GORA - VRŠIČ PASS – SOČA VALLEY – KOBARID – GORIŠKA BRDA
Breakfast. Then we drive over the Vršič pass (approx. 1,500m above the sea level) and along the Soča Valley. We take a short hike to the spring of the Soča River. Visit of Kobarid, where we can hear all about World War I and the famous battle at the Isonzo Front - “Soška fronta”. We visit a dairy museum “Od planine do Planike” in Kobarid. The presentation of the history of cheese-making is followed by an unforgettable tasting of cheeses and milk products like sour milk with honey produced there. Continue to Goriška Brda, Slovenian wine country, where we stop at a local winery for a taste of the region’s typical wines, such as: merlot, chardonnay, sauvignon, cabernet… Accommodation in a hotel and overnight stay.
GORIŠKA BRDA – LIPICA STUD FARM – HAM-DRYING FACILITY IN KARST – SLOVENIAN COAST
After breakfast, we drive to Lipica and visit a stud farm with a more than 400-year-old tradition of breeding and selection of thoroughbred horses. Some free time to enjoy nature. Then we take a coach trip to the Karst area. Firstly, we visit the ham-drying facility, where we see the production of the famous Slovenian dried-ham – prosciutto. Tasting of Karst dry-cured ham “pršut” with a glass of local red wine “Teran”. We continue our journey towards the Slovenian coast, and visit Piran. This city with its rich cultural heritage resembles a large open-air museum with medieval architecture. Narrow streets and compact houses give the town its unique charm. Piran is one of Slovenia's major tourist attractions. Accommodation and overnight stay.
SLOVENIAN COAST - POSTOJNA – CELJE
After breakfast we depart to the famous underground world of the Postojna Cave. For 140 years, the Postojna Cave - as the only cave in the world - offers a unique and adventurous ride with a special cave train, which will take you into the cave, under spectacular underground arches, which are embellished with chandelier look-alike stalactites, through a beautiful subterranean world full of playful limestone sculptures. After the tour through the caves we drive to the Valley of Green Gold with its king – the hops. A short stop at Trojane for a snack, its famous donut. Arrival at Celje, the city famous for the Counts of Celje, who ruled on what is Slovenian territory today. In the city, we step into a “time machine”. Firstly, we visit the unique archaeological display of CELEIA – “City below the City”, called the Troia Secunda by the Romans, and the Regional Museum of Celje, where we admire the “Celje Ceiling”. Afterwards we continue our journey into medieval times when we visit the Old Castle of Celje. We take a walk around the castle and at the end we visit Frederick’s Tower and enjoy a spectacular view of the city below. Accommodation and overnight stay.
CELJE – MARIBOR – PREKMURJE REGION
Morning departure to Maribor, the capital of the Štajerska region. We visit the beautiful city of Maribor, take a walk in the city centre and along the embankment of the Drava River, and take a wander through the lively streets and squares, where history and tradition are blended with dynamics and modernity. Let Lent the oldest part of the town, enchant you with its Old Vine - the oldest in the world -, the medieval towers and remains of the old town walls. We continue to another Slovenian wine region – Slovenske Gorice, and visit a wine cellar where we experience the wonderful flavours of several domestic and sparkling wines. Accommodation and overnight stay.
PREKMURJE REGION – PTUJ – LJUBLJANA
After breakfast, we continue our journey to a small village of Filovci, well known for its pottery. We visit a museum of pottery. In Bogojina, we visit the church, work of the renowned Slovenian architect Plečnik. As the Prekmurje region is famous for “bograč” goulash, we take time and taste it. Then we head to Ptuj, the oldest documented Slovenian town, and take a walk around the town. We see the medieval streets, the City Tower, the Church of St. George, the Slovenian market, the City Market and other attractions. Departure to Ljubljana. Accommodation and farewell dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight stay.
After breakfast we meet in the lobby to say farewell to our new friends and travel companions and take the last group photo in memory of the unforgettable moments in Slovenia. Check-out.
- Professional English-speaking (other languages on request) guide/driver
- Transport by comfortable car/van
- Parking fees, tolls and fuel
- 7 x accommodation in double/twin room in 4* hotels as per program, based on buffet breakfast
- Entrance fees: Funicular to the Ljubljana Castle, Bled Castle, The Dairy Museum, Lipica Stud Farm, Postojna Cave, Museum of Pottery, Archaeological display of CELEIA – “City below the City”, Regional Museum of Celje, Celje Old Castle
- 2 x dinner in Ljubljana
- Cream cake – “kremšnita”
- Tasting of milk products and cheeses
- Wine tasting at Goriška Brda
- Visit of Ham-Drying Facility with tasting and glass of red wine
- Donut at Trojane
- Wine tasting at Slovenske Gorice
- Lunch – “bograč” goulash in Prekmurje Region
- Single supplement
- Other entrance fees and visits
- Beverages and other meals
- Personal expenses